comcast email set up
Recently I had to set up email for a new client. I used the following to set him up on Comcast. If you already have an account set up but its not working skip to step 14, your ports may have changed. Verify that the outgoing port has not been changed by Comcast. They change the ports from time to time. The below instructions are modified from the Comcast website located here. I added a few pointers to help improve success.
If you want to check to see if your ports are blocked skip to the bottom.
How do I set up/configure Outlook Express for email?
To set up Outlook Express with your Comcast.net user name and password, follow the steps outlined below.
1. Open Outlook Express or Outlook by double-clicking the Outlook Express icon on your desktop
2. The first time you start Outlook Express the Internet Connection Wizard will appear. Select Create a new Internet mail account and click Next to continue
3. On the Your Name screen type in your name as you would like it to appear on your outgoing e-mail messages and click Next to continue
4. Type in your @comcast.net e-mail address on the Internet E-mail Address screen. Click Next to continue
5. On the E-mail Server Names screen, select POP3 from the drop down list. In the space provided below Incoming mail (POP3, IMAP or HTTP) server:, enter mail.comcast.net. Type in smtp.comcast.net as your Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: and click Next to continue
6. On the Internet Mail Logon screen, type in your Comcast user name in the field titled Account name:. Your user name is everything leading up to, but not including the @comcast.net part of your e-mail address. For example, if your e-mail address is email@example.com, you would enter test_account as your Account name:. In the Password: field, enter in your Comcast assigned password. If you do not wish to enter your password every
time you check your e-mail, put a check in the box labelled Remember password. Click Next to continue
7. Congratulations, you have now set up Outlook Express as your e-mail program. Click Finish to begin sending and receiving e-mail
8. Although the Internet Connection Wizard has collected the basic information needed to receive email, you still need to complete a couple of other steps to send mail through the Comcast mail servers.
9. In the Internet Accounts window (still open from steps above), highlight the account just created and click Properties.
10. In the Servers tab, verify that smtp.comcast.net is in the Outgoing mail (SMTP) field.
11. Place a check in the My server requires authentication option
12. Click the Settings button
13. In the Outgoing Mail Server box, select Use same settings as my incoming mail server and click OK
14. Select the Advanced tab. In the Advanced tab, under Server Port Numbers, change the Outgoing mail (SMTP) from whatever number is in the field to 587
If you skipped to this part, this screen can be found by going to tools/accounts click on ?mail tab? then edit properties of your account.
15. Click the OK button in the Properties window, then click Close from the Internet Accounts window to return to the main Outlook Express window
Finally , if your not sure if your ports are block try the following.
In that command prompt “DOS box”, type telnet mail.comcast.net 587 which will result in one of two results:
The screen will clear and then you will see
+OK <rwcrpxc58> mailleniumin POP3/PROXY
OK POP 3 Host
Type quit which will get you
Connecting To mail.comcast.net…Could not open connection to the host, on port 587: Connect failed
or the screen may go blank or disappear all together. It’s a good idea to check it out and make sure your ports are open before setting up your email. If you’re having trouble you can always call me. Visit www.yorkcomputerrepair.com
[SWF]wp-content/uploads/2008/06/telnet.swf, 500 , 500[/SWF]